Comprehensive Dental Exam
A comprehensive dental exam will be performed by your dentist at your first dental visit. At regular check-up exams, the following services are included:
- X-ray examination: Help determines tooth and root positions, as well detection of any decay, tumors, cysts or bone loss.
- Oral cancer screening: Checking the face, nose, throat, neck, tissues ect. for any signs of oral cancer
- Gum disease evaluation: Checking for any signs of periodontal disease around the bone or gums
- Examination of tooth decay: Using specialized dental instruments, all tooth surfaces will be checked for decay.
- Examination of existing restorations: Checking up on existing crowns, fillings ect.
Professional Dental Cleaning
Cleaning appointments will include a dental exam as well as:
- Removal of tartar: Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with specialized dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost clear film that forms on the teeth. It is essentially a mixture of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins that inflame the gums, which in turn can create periodontal disease.
- Teeth polishing: Stains and plaque is removed that was not otherwise during brushing.